This POST is just a brief note WITH CHECKLIST at bottom ( Why necessary ? Because "much advice is best "and because many who work HIGH risk territory ( like the authors) would not want anyone to be left to the media machine and practices of the government of this day- many of us used to work FOR them when they worked better,
Much advice and much LOCAL advice and phone contact should be sought .
Question Kids ask naturally are we at risk ? ( to MUM or DAD),,,Answer , If you have big native trees or bush nearby-- YES you are and esp if its to the north or west of YOU see posts below and links
Why this confusion?
Unfortunately with the intense love of the bush, there is a bit of denial . Time to give this up for realism if you live near bush and ...........leave early - if you can . If a bush fire is near or day progressing you leaving maybe too late . In old days someone would often come and tell you if it made sense to do so and where to go.
---Maybe ask your CFA friends to do that because in this days and age of all talk and no responsibility you have few better guarantees
Should you trust the government? Well YES BUT sadly NO -----to the extent that trees have become sacred in their eyes , they and their processes TOO are in denial PLUS they don't really understand and commit to local risk management ( its a local thing YOU have to be in charge of ) use own resources eg phone ; the internet and specific sites can go down as will some communication lines .Find a TWITTER feed that makes sense to you if you use it .( less likely to go down and quick)
CHECKLIST ( not definitive )
- Wise up and trust your own judgement and those who live with similiar risks nearby .
- Carry woollen blankets, overalls ,phone nos ,lots of water and chainsaw ( if you can) in any car you use
- Carry LOCAL resource phonenumbers .low use local web and weather links eg http://otwaysonline.blogspot.com
- If you do go somewhere safe , plan to come back late ( usually less risk)
- Expect electricity outages. If need power/ water supply find other sources, store water in smaller containers
- Add here ........................